Monday, May 30, 2011

Transitioning

Well we made it safely back home to the Spring City. Harvey did great on the flight. Actually...I think he did better on the flight than he usually does on the ground. He did, after all, fly like 10 times while in the womb.

We finished up our packing and it wasn't as difficult a task as I had expected. Then we all took "naps" in Josh and Danielle's room until midnightish like one big happy family. Then Jarred and Shelley arrived and we talked with them for a while before going to sleep. The next day we did alot of eating and sleeping...come to think of it, that's about all we did. Danielle and Shelley cooked a big breakfast for us, we had leftovers and sandwiches for lunch, Shelley and I made tacos for dinner, and then we went to Cold Stone one last time for some ice cream. It was a nice time and I was so happy to have foreigners with us. The next morning we set off for the airport, hoping they wouldn't turn us away. But they didn't even say a word about Harvey not being old enough. Josh had plenty of speeches planned out in his head in case they told us we couldn't go, but he didn't need them, thankfully. Some friends picked us up from the airport and then we came home. We were greeted by welcome signs on the door and by cards all over the house. One of the first things I did when I got here was play the piano. I hadn't played in over a month and was dying to. But unfortunately as I began to play I realized how much my skill level has decreased in the past month. But hopefully I'll work through the rustiness and pick it back up in no time. Josh has some great books that I can play out of (including Michael Buble and Chris Rice books) that should keep me busy for a while.

I really love this house. In my room I have a window seat. I've been wanting a window seat from the time I exited my mother's womb. This morning I did my devotions on it and it was fantastic. There's a problem, though...the thing that separates the top window from the bottom window is right at eye level. But I can handle that. It's still wonderful. And the kitchen here is literally 3 times the size of our kitchen in Beijing.

But despite the fact that I love this house and I love the Spring City, there are no doubt some things I will miss about Beijing. The main ones being Cold Stone, good milk, sliced bread, the subway system, air conditioning, Netflix, and fast internet. But the good things about being here for sure outweigh the things I'll miss about Beijing. After all, there are like 6 foreigners here that I'll see often. That's enough reason to make me happy. Don't get me wrong...I love Chinese people with all of my heart. It's just nice to be able to understand what's going on sometimes.

As for Harvey, well...he's stayed on his normal routine for the most part. Although last night he did sleep alot which Josh and Danielle were incredibly thankful for. He's still as cute as ever. And yesterday he wore his outfit that says, "I like hanging with my aunt" (props to Issac for the outfit donation).

Thursday I start Chinese class which I'm really excited about. I have a terrible memory...which isn't exactly a great thing to have when attempting to learn a language. But hopefully I can work through my difficulties and be able to speak at least a small amount before I leave.

It's a little weird transitioning to being here but hopefully I'll get used to it soon enough. At our apartment in Beijing I had sort of figured things out and I was getting the hang of it. I was really comfortable there and it started to feel like my home in China. And then we packed up and left again. By the time I get used to being here it'll be time to head back to my American home. And when I'm loving it there I'll pack up once again and head to Arizona. Then I'll come back, enjoy my home, pack up again and go to Kentucky. Then I'll come back home and be there for a while. I think it'd be safe to say this summer is full of moving around and changing surroundings. But I'm anticipating that it will be one of the most (if not the most) memorable summers yet. I'm especially excited about our week at the beach with the entire family. Mom, Dad, Josh, Danielle, Jordan, Ashley, Joe, myself, and Harvey. All of us. I can't wait!

As much as I miss home and I'd love to be there right now, I'm so thankful for this trip and the fun that I'm having on it. I'm so happy that I can be here and experience Harvey's first weeks of life. And I'm really glad I can have this special time with Josh and Danielle and that I am able to help them out a little bit. This is such a great experience that I know will make a huge impact on my life in the future (especially in the area of taking care of babies. I mean, come on. Let's be real. I sat through a visit with a lactation consultant. I'm practically already a pro at breastfeeding. Awkward, I know. But it's true.). So I'm really thankful for the Lord giving me this opportunity and I'm trying not to take it for granted!

So for now, instead of dwelling on how much I miss my family, my friends, and Chickfila, I'll do my best to take in the sweet moments I have with the Harv and his milk mustache.

No comments:

Post a Comment