Tuesday, August 16, 2011

thank the good Lord for Skype.

I'm ready for school to start.

I never thought I'd actually believe these words. But it's true. I'm dying for school to start, really. For a number of reasons. 1. I'm in desperate need of routine so that my life can get back to normal. 2. I've been out of school since April..it just feels like I've been out way too long. 3. I'm not feeling so smart.. I feel like I can barely add and subtract. 4. I've recently gotten a desire to learn. Probably because for 2 and a half months I lived with a person who happens to love learning, is a genius, reads constantly, and uses big words. His name is Josh Shelley.

So this is why I want school to start. Thankfully I only have to wait another week. Now let's be honest...once school starts I will probably take back everything I ever said. But for now, I'm ready.

For some reason recently I've gotten into reading. I have read 5 books this year. Which is like...some sort of insane record for myself. Unless you're counting Nancy Drew or the Boxcar Children, I really have never read books. All 5 books that I have read have been excellent. Radical (by David Platt), Radical Together (by David Platt), the Case for Christ (by Lee Strobel), High Heels to Tractor Wheels (by Ree Drummond, aka the Pioneer Woman), and the Blind Side (by Michael Lewis). I recommend them all.

I wasn't a huge huge fan of the Pioneer Woman's book...it was a little boring and pretty much said the same thing for the first 20 chapters. They went on a date, kissed, and went home. About 50 times. And she writes about each one. And they're all exactly the same. But it was still a good book.

In other news, Josh, Danielle, and the Harv are leaving on Friday. To go back to China. Believe me...I begged to go with them. I miss China. And boy am I gonna miss these 3 people. Life will be weird (and quiet) with no screaming babies. I'm holding onto the hope that they'll be coming back not too long from now. And I'm also skipping out on the airport Friday morning. Goodbyes are terrible. But goodbyes at the airport are worse. Everyone is there, crying and hugging. Everyone is sad. You say goodbye. And then you have to stand there for like 20 minutes and watch them go through security and walk toward the gate. And then cry some more.

I'd rather say goodbye to them at home, try not to get emotional, and then cry myself to sleep that night. Seems like the better option. If you see me on Friday or any day of the following week and I'm having a breakdown...don't worry. I'm ok. I'm just missing Harvey's piercing scream. And for the first time in my life, I'll want a diaper to change. And a pacifier to put in a crying baby's mouth. And a sister-in-law that lives 10 minutes away. And a brother that teaches me new words....and inspires the genius in me.

Ok this is getting too sad. I'll save the tears for Thursday and Friday and just thank the good Lord for Skype...all day long.

1 comment:

  1. You're such a great aunt! Little Harv will miss you too! And I'm sure Josh and Danielle will too but I'm SO GLAD TO HAVE YOU HOME!!! So glad, too, you've been inspired to develop the "genius in you."

    ReplyDelete