Monday, September 5, 2011

tweet tweet. the idol of approval. and rompers.

Twitter.

Twitter has become an incredibly popular social-networking site. I used to hate it. Now I love it. I never thought I'd get into it. I'm way into it. I never really cared about this tweeting thing I heard of. Now I tweet every day.

For those who are unfamiliar with Twitter (i.e. those over the age of 60), I will explain it for you. First of all, I'm going to assume you all pretty much get the gist of Facebook. So Twitter is like Facebook, in that you can post pictures, and "statuses" and things of the sort. But the main difference in Twitter is that no one can comment on the said "statuses" and such. The good thing about this is that people like Justin Bieber don't have to deal with 2 million little girls commenting on each post. This way, all of the little girls can still see what he's doing, and fall in love with him all over again, but they can't comment.

So that's pretty much the basics of Twitter.

For some reason I have become a fan of it. I've been wondering why. Maybe it's just that it's the cool thing to do these days, and, being the cool person I am, I figured I'd do it too. Or maybe because I waste too much time on the internet, so hey, why not add another thing to my list of internet-time-wasters? Or maybe it's because I always wanted to #hashtag and everyone knows it's lame to hashtag on Facebook. Or maybe it's because I wanted to follow Justin Bieber along with the rest of the Biebs-obsessed world.

But I believe I've come to a conclusion. Before I pronounce my conclusion, though, you need to know about a problem I have. This problem is approval. My flesh desires approval by others. By friends, familiy, strangers, anyone. The reason I'm ok with telling the world about this problem is because I know I'm not the only one who has this problem.

Why do you buy expensive clothes? Why do you try to look cute every day? Why do you put on makeup? Why do you search magazines for the new style? Why do you exercise? Why do you do your best to be good at sports?

I don't know about you, but when I do these things I'm not thinking Oh, God would be so happy with me right now...He must be so proud that His child looks gorgeous today. I bet He'd just love this dress. Now, He must have been so impressed when He saw me score that goal today. We just don't go throughout our day trying to look good in front of God. Why not? I don't know. I don't think He really cares too much which color shirt I buy. He cares more about the homeless man on the side of the street that I did my best to ignore. I don't think He really cares too much about which jeans I wear. He cares more about the girls I talk junk about. I don't think He really cares too much about how straight my teeth are. He cares more about how much I smile because of the joy in my heart.

So, what in the world could this possibly have to do with Twitter? On Facebook, you can seek approval from others all you want. On Twitter, no one can comment, no one can "like", it's just you posting and others reading. You don't know what they're thinking.

So my conclusion is that this is why I like Twitter. I don't have to worry about approval. While I was in China, I was hanging out with the girls and we listened to a sermon about idols in our lives. One of the idols it talked about was the idol of approval. I've thought about it ever since. I know I struggle with it. Maybe you do too. I'm no expert on the subject, but I just thought someone else might care to hear my thoughts. If you didn't...well, ignore this post.

But I'm not so sure about Google+. I haven't quite gotten into that yet. But I have no doubt that I will. Sort of like Toms. I used to hate them. I haven't gotten into rompers yet, though...I just can't handle them. I'd rather wear a dress. Or shorts and a shirt. I just find them awkward. But no offense to you romper-lovers out there.

Deuces.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha I feel the same way about rompers! I'd rather wear overalls or something. That's about as close as I'll get to a romper-like outfit.

    I just started to type out a response about the approval thing. But it got really long. And then I decided that I'll just blog about that today. So thanks for the inspiration. :) Haha. Consider my blog post today as the rest of my comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like everything you said..rompers included! hahaha! :) Your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete