Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas gifts. I just don't get it.


Christmas gifts. Such a weird thing. I've always wondered about Christmas gifts. Why do people give each other gifts at Christmas? Why do you always have to give someone a Christmas gift if they give you one? Isn't the point of giving the gift because you want to give it, not because you're gonna get something in return?

I love Christmas gifts, don't get me wrong. I just don't really understand it. I wish I didn't feel pressure to get some people gifts, or pressure to make sure that I spend the exact same amount of money on each person. I don't even get why we give gifts at all...Christmas is about Jesus, right? So why do we give each other stuff? It doesn't make sense. The wise men gave Jesus gifts. But uh...He was the one born. And he was Jesus, after all. Am I the only person confused by this?

But I love it, and I'm doing it, and I probably always will. But this year, I don't want to worry about it. If I get a gift from someone, I don't want to worry about having to go get them something. If they're really giving me a gift for the right reasons, they won't expect a gift in return.

I also hate the whole idea of "If I give this person a gift, I'll have to get all these other people a gift, because they'll be offended if I dont..." and so on and so forth. It's ridiculous, really.
I have found myself in a conversation with a few people this year that goes something like the following:
Person: "I'm gonna get you something for Christmas."
Me: "Oh, really?"
Person: "Yep."
Me: "Oh no...does this mean I have to get you something?"

Of course it doesn't! And if it does, then that "person" really has no clue what the word giving really means. If you go to dictionary.com and search the word "giving," the first definition that comes up is, "to present voluntarily and without expecting compensation."

There it is, people. Voluntarily. No one makes you give...you give because you want to (not because someone else gave something to you which makes you feel pressured). Without expecting compensation. If you're gonna give me something this year, be careful...don't expect compensation. Because you might not get it. I'm sorry if you feel offended by this, but I'm not going to go around giving out gifts, and spending my money because I feel badly.

And if I give you a gift, no pressure to get me something. I'm not expecting it.

1 comment:

  1. Christmas is in the air! Many are giving gifts to loved ones. And this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete