Saturday, January 7, 2012

what's with all the "z"s?

According to a recent intense study (my observations) conducted by an intelligent researcher (me), it has become apparent that businesses are all too much a fan of the letter "z". Let me explain.

If you have not noticed, it is now common to exchange an "s" at the end of the word to a "z". Apparently this makes your business cool. For example, I was riding down the road the other day when I passed a billboard for some sort of restaurant. The name? Fatz. Yes, Fatz. Now, I'm sure you would agree that if this place was called Fats, no one would go there. Although McDonald's is no healthier I am sure, I would feel much more nutritious eating there than eating at a restaurant called Fats. Ah, but we have no worries. Throw a "z" on the end there, and you're good to go.

Another example. Let me preface this by saying that we have issues with our mini-blinds all the time. Like, all the time. They're constantly falling off, or breaking, or the wrong color, etc. So, I was sitting in the kitchen one day and, naturally, there was a box of mini-blinds leaning against the wall. What do you think the name of the brand was? You guessed it. Blindz.

I do not understand this. I am trying to imagine how the business owners came up with this name and thought that it was acceptable. This is the conversation that I am picturing in my head:

Business owner #1: "Alright guys. We're gonna sell mini-blinds. What should we name the business?"
#2: "Well...we could always call it Blinds."
#3: "Nah. Not original enough."
#2: "Ok, but what if we put a 'z' on the end instead of an 's'?"
#1: "Perfect. I love it."

Is this seriously what happens? It concerns me. The creativity of the United States of America has really gone down hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment