Saturday, March 31, 2012

bob and me.

If you read my last post, you know that I'm a math person. I don't like memorizing things. But another thing that I like is spelling/grammar and all that jazz. I am by no means an expert in the area, but for one reason or another, I just like it. I'm one of those people who hates an improper use of "your", "you're", "there", "their", or "they're". This is me:



You know those people on Facebook (it may be you) that when putting up a picture of them self and someone (Bob, for example) always makes the caption, "Bob and I"? Well it's always bugged me. It's always been a "you put 'Bob and me' but I put 'Bob and I' so I'm smarter than you" sort of deal in my mind. I know this is completely ridiculous because there are people out there like me that like to use proper grammar. And I know that they are not doing it to make themselves look smarter, but for some reason I always think that. It's ridiculous, I know. Please don't judge me, because I'm not judging you if you always put "Bob and I". I'm sort of ashamed that I always think this, but this blog is a place where I'm honest, so I'm just going to resist the urge to erase the above sentences.

Well I got to thinking (which I do all too often) and realized that "Bob and I" is in no way grammatically correct. First of all, neither "Bob and I" nor "Bob and me" are complete sentences, but I don't really care about that. What really gets me is that some people don't realize that you're not always supposed to say, "so-and-so and I". There are actually times where "me" is appropriate. For example: "Bob and I went to the store today." "Today Jimmy came by the store and kidnapped Bob and me." If you didn't realize this, just remove the other person's name and if it sounds right with "I", then you're good. And if not, change it to "me".

Now that we've got that grammar lesson done, I'll move on to the Facebook pictures. If you think about it, why are you saying, "Bob and I"? It must be a shortened version of some sort of sentence, because "Bob and I" makes absolutely no sense by itself. I think most people would assume that "Bob and I" is a shortened version of, "This is a picture of Bob and I." Am I correct? Well, that sentence is grammatically incorrect. The sentence should be, "This is a picture of Bob and me." Why? Remove the "Bob" and it makes sense. "This is a picture of me," makes sense, whereas, "This is a picture of I," is obviously incorrect.

If you like to put "I" on the caption of your pictures, by no means am I trying to judge you for your grammatically incorrect actions. This is only my understanding of the grammar world. We all make mistakes (usually about much more important things than grammar). I realize that now everyone is thinking, "Oh wow you put 'Bob and me' but I put 'Bob and I' so you think you're smarter than me." No worries, I'm probably not smarter than you.

Now it's time to hear about all of the spelling and grammar mistakes that I have made in this post. (If you're wondering, I realized that I put "right" instead of "write" in a previous post. I was mortified when I realized this. Forgive me.)

Since everyone would rather look at pictures of Harvey than read my grammar lectures, here is his latest weekly photo:


No comments:

Post a Comment