Friday, June 8, 2012

zoos, ducks, forgiveness, and expectations.

I like Memphis. A couple of days ago we went to the Memphis zoo which was great. In my opinion, so much better than the Asheboro zoo. Let me tell you why (not that you care to know my opinion on zoos). If you have ever been to the Asheboro zoo you know that by the end of the day you feel like you've walked a marathon. To get from one animal to the next it seems like a half of a mile. I don't suggest taking your children unless they are either in a stroller or older than me. Because if they can walk and they're not adults, they're going to complain about it. Believe me...I went to the zoo this spring and I complained. If you do decide to take children who are in the walking stage of life, put on comfortable shoes. You're welcome for that tidbit of advice. Now, the reason that everything is so spread out is because the animals have very large enclosures. Which is great for the animals. But then again, the zoo is for humans to observe animals that are trapped in small places and can't be free to roam around and absolutely hate their lives.

So the animals' enclosures are massive which not only means a lot of walking time but also that the animals tend to wander off and you can barely see them. However, at the Memphis zoo the animals are trapped in small spaces which means they are very close together (little walking distance) and also the animals are right up close to you. This is sad for the animals, but happy for me. Also, they have 2 of the only 10 pandas that are in the United States. China owns all the pandas in the world and "loans" them to zoos. I hear that China charges $900,000 a year for one panda. The lady at the panda exhibit said that they had to build a $13 million enclosure for the pandas before they could even be approved to get them. I'm sorry but that seems insane.

Now that you know everything you need to know (and more) about the Memphis zoo and the Asheboro zoo, I will move on.

This morning we went to the famous Peabody hotel to see the equally famous Peabody ducks. They live on the roof and every morning they get on the elevator and walk into the lobby and get into a fountain where they swim all day and then get back out in the evening and walk back into the elevator and up to the roof. It's pretty impressive.

(I didn't take this picture. I found it on Google images. Much easier.)


To move to a more serious note, I read some cool things in my devotions tonight that I thought I should share. Not because I think you need to hear some great wisdom from me, but because it was just so cool.

Tonight I was talking on the phone with a friend and discussing some other friends that had wronged us and others multiple times and it was sort of a bad situation. I was really frustrated and told my friend how I had forgiven these people in my heart but how it was hard to forgive them in my mind. I had decided to forgive them and I knew that holding a grudge was not the right thing to do. But when I thought about their actions I was still angry.  And then I came back inside, began my devotions, and opened up to Luke chapter 17. Verses 2 and 3 read: "Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, 'I repent,' you shall forgive him." And if that's not a sign from God, I don't know what is. No matter how many times anyone wrongs me, it's my job to forgive them. Not an easy thing to do at all.

Then I continued to read. I got to verses 5 through 10 and was struck by those too. You may go read them for yourself, but Jesus is telling His disciples how God expects us to work diligently for Him and to do much for the advancement of His kingdom. If we give someone a tract or mention Jesus in conversation He isn't going to give us a pat on the back and thank us for doing so much for Him. There's no reason for celebration or thanks. It's just our duty. It's what we're supposed to do.

If you leave work at the end of the day and you've done all of the tasks you were supposed to do your boss probably doesn't thank you. You haven't done anything special. You just did what you were expected to do. We are expected to show love to the poor. We are expected to be patient with our brothers and sisters. We are expected to respect and obey our parents. We are expected to have self-control. We are expected to submit to those in authority over us. We are expected to be a friend to the hurting and a comforter to the mourning. We are expected to be shining lights to the lost of this world. All of these things are our duties. I think that often when we do something for the Lord we are proud of ourselves. We think, "Man, I just really did a great job today. I gave that homeless man a few dollars and told him that God loves him. God must just be so happy that He has me as one of His children." But there's no need for this. God has commanded us to do all of these things and not one of them deserves extra credit points.

I could go on about the great things I read tonight, but I won't. I'm sure you are fully capable of reading the Bible on your own. And I encourage you to do so. You won't regret it.



3 more days till I say goodbye to these people (plus a few more)

 

and say hello to these people (plus a few more).

 

1 comment:

  1. Great blog sweetie. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete